Friday, August 17, 2007
Welcome to the dye pot.
I did two roving bundles first. They are both superwash lambswool from Knit-Knackers and I used the standard handpaint technique. I find that superwash roving takes the dye so fast that I don't even need to heat them afterwards.
I was using dye measurements that were intended for a different brand of dye and I think it was way too much. I love the colours in the top one - the saturation is what I wanted but there was some run off before I got a total exhaust. I'm a little less happy with the green and purple. I wish I had given myself longer repeats of each colour. I guess the proof will be in the spinning.
The two sock yarns were both Knit-Picks Bare. The top skein was "sprinkle dyed". You wet out the yarn, spread it out in a shallow pan and sprinkle the yarn with the dye powder. The colours migrate a little but I think the end results is a little muddy. Again - I won't have a final result until I see it knit. I love how some areas look like they've been air brushed.
I was thrilled with how this one turned out. It is tie dyed. I space dyed the yarn with a light yellow, a light green and a teal. Once I finished that process I tied it in a bunch of different places with cotton and over dyed with saphire blue. The yellow didn't quite turn the blue I wanted but the overdye on the blue and the green is awesome! I can't wait to see how this one turns out.
I'm going to try and get one more dye day in before I got back to school. I will probably be back in the school building week after next and right now dyeing is helping me convince myself that I don't need to buy any more yarn (it's like I'm creating my own new yarn!). I may go pick up a little more natural roving but that should be it for a while.