Sunday, January 07, 2007

 

His and Hers Dye Job

The BF's first request for the wheel was a pair of handspun handknit socks so never being one to deny a request that means more roving off I went to Knit Knackers and I bought 300gm of Superwash Lambswool. I devided it up into two bundles. I dyed both with Wiltons but I had run out of vinegar so I needed to find something to set with. I had some citric acid (from a failed attempt at making bath bombs) and I'd heard that it worked well. I have got to tell you it was super crazy fast. I didn't even have time to get all the wool into the dyebath before it was exhausted.





I had to give the second half another bath with a second batch of dye (which was not as deep - I was almost out of royal blue) but I think it looks really interesting.

It is spinning up really well and the verigation should make for some amazing socks.








For mine I decided to have a go at something more exciting. I've tried handpaint before but I always end up turning the whole thing muddy. I figured with the quick grabbing citric acid I might have more luck and this is the result. It is Wiltons violet (turned more blue but bled some purple), green, and brown to tone it down some.








I have no idea how it will spin up but right now I am totally head over heels in love with the colours. I'm going to be picking up the Twisted Sister Sock Book soon so hopefully I will get some good ideas on how to make this a more exact process.








I also finished off a quick and dirty project this weekend. It's a baby cable reversable scarf out of Merino Bulky from Handpainted Yarn. I made a purple scarf from the same yarn last year and was so happy with it that I had to give it another go.

I'm still happily spinning up a storm but I'm a little sad that I have to go back to school tomorrow (I'm sure my students feel the same). I would have loved another week at home with my new wheel. Oh well - I'll just have to mark more at school so I can come home and have more free time ;-)

Comments:
Beautiful dye jobs! Can't wait to see how "hers" comes out! Should be interesting. You just never really can tell until it's spun up really...

That scarf looks so lovely and cushy warm too :-)

The BF's roving, well - you just can't go wrong with those types of colors.

Abi
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Webring is owned by
SnerKnits.
Previous | Next | List Sites

RingSurf: SpinKnitties
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random|Powered by RingSurf
Valerie

Which Princess Bride Character are You?
this quiz was made by mysti TITLE OF SITE IMAGE IS POINTING TO